Self Introduction Email

Subject: Self-introduction email

Dear Professor Blackstone,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Muzaffar Ilhan, and I am a Year 1 student in your critical and communication class. I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself and share my interests and goals for this program.

Prior to joining the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), I had a diploma in mechanical engineering from Singapore Polytechnic (SP) in 2022 and decided to pursue the same field at SIT. From a tender age, I have always shown an interest in hands-on activities, such as fixing bicycles and working on my dad's car. 

 

After a memorable trip to Japan back in 2023, I was inspired by a life-sized Gundam model, which led me to develop a new hobby building Gundam models. My passion for tinkering and practical projects set me apart, allowing me to effectively contribute to group projects, especially in the practical aspects.

 

In addition to practical skills, I consider my communication strength to be my ability to actively listen and understand conversations. For instance, I will take the time to listen to everyone’s ideas and concerns. This can help address any misunderstandings and identify common interests.

 

My goals for this program are to improve my public speaking skills and build my confidence in communication. Being a BMTC trainer during my National Service, I experienced firsthand the importance of having good communication skills. Presenting to my superiors and recruits often made me feel anxious and uncomfortable. I had a tendency to stutter and tense up when making speeches, especially in front of others, leading me to rely on my colleagues to take over during these moments.

 

To overcome these challenges, I plan to actively participate in class activities and try to be more engaging in group discussions. Additionally, I will seek constructive feedback from you and my classmates to help me improve.

 

I look forward to participating in your class this semester. Thank you for your time.


Best Regards,

Muzaffar Ilhan

Comments

  1. Muz, this is a well-written email. Your email is clear and you have listed out interesting personal experiences such as your Japan trip as well as your National Service leadership role. Your honesty about your communication weaknesses shows a willingness to improve and your proactive approach in class is truly commendable. Overall, your letter reflects a positive and motivated attitude towards learning and growth. I believe that you will make great progress in achieving your communication goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Benedict for your thoughtful comment.

      Delete
  2. Hello Muzaffar, thank you for taking up time to write this email. I felt that in general, your email did a great job introducing your background and outlining your goals for the course. It included examples of hands-on skills, such as fixing bicycles and building Gundam models, which showcases your practical skills well. I can relate to your focus on improving public speaking skills, as I have also found that leadership experiences can highlight areas where we need to grow. It is crucial that you have pinpointed your communication strengths and the areas you want to develop.

    I feel that you can add specific examples of how your hands-on skills have impacted your work or studies, and outline a more detailed plan for addressing your public speaking challenges. Also, fixing minor grammatical errors and awkward phrasing will enhance readability. These changes will make your letter more impactful and better aligned with your course goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben for your comment and feedback. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. Muzaffar, thank you for writing this letter.

    For your communication strength, I feel like the example you provide is a bit general, It would be better to have a specific scenario where you actively listen to a group project, maybe during your Singapore Polytechnic days when you were working in a group. For your weakness, it was written well providing examples such as during your national service days.

    Overall, I felt that your letter was clear and concise. You mentioned about how your interest in engineering sparked and provided examples in which I was captivated by it. I hope throughout this module, you able to achieve your goals and improve on your communication weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zikry for your comments!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts